Monday, June 30, 2008

Mon., June 30: Overcoming the wind...

Hello everyone! We did a 9pm, 12am, and 3am sounding. The winds increased so the 6am launch was cancelled. Because the strong winds persisted throughout the day, we could not do any launches until 11:30pm tonight. So I made my usual rounds checking on all of the instruments, backing up all of the data, cleaned the dome of the above ground spectroradiometer, and reburried the fiber optic cables on the snow spectroradiometer because the strong winds are causing snow drift.

Our group (Summit, Greenland snow photochemistry and halogen group) had a data meeting today at 2pm. The principal investigators (Dr. Lefer (U of Houston), Dr. Jochen Stutz (UCLA), Dr. Blake (U. of Cal-Irvine), Dr. Greg Huey (GA Tech), Dr. Jack Dibb (U of New Hampshire), and Steve Brooks (NOAA)) have all left camp by now so all of us scrubs (post docs, PhD students, master students, two undergrads) are left! During the conference call, we discussed interesting data that each university has seen. Later, I will post some pics and descriptions of what each university is studying. Our server has been overwhelmed, and it takes a while to upload them.

I slept great again last night, and I think I am getting acclamated to the weather here. It is not bad if the wind is calm, but lately that has not been the case. Poor Nemo can only withstand winds less than about 12 knots.

For lunch, I had a Mediterranean salad, pork green chili (that was delicious!), chicken and vegetable soup, and a giant chocolate chip cookie (that I also ate for a snack later after nuking it at satellite camp).

Dinner was a Chinese theme although Jin said it really wasn't Chinese (think PF Chang's). We had pot stickers (so yummy), Chinese meatballs, rice, beef stir fry, vegetables, cucumber salad and an orange. It was sooo good!

Smell-oh-meter: 5...still doing pretty well...just so cold it doesn't seem to matter

Current Weather:
Temperature: 10F
Wind Chill: -3F

Tomorrow is Canada Day! We are going to celebrate with our lone Canadian, Tara (Univ. of Toronto). Will, the chef, is going to make poutine, a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds (which we will have to find another cheese substitute for because no curds at Summit!) and covered with gravy!!! Mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey there Sweet heart!! Honey booms booms. Since you make my mouth water every single day....I thought I would make you wish you were sitting down today eating lunch with me and my grade level at school. Shrimp skewers with tomatoes, vidalia onion and green peppers marinated in baja citrus marinade, homemade fruit torte (to die for!!), croissants with Waldorf chicken salad, cucs, tomatoes and onion in vinegrette
and 2 types of broccoli salad.
Talk about some good eatin'.

Please send me the Summit 101 textbook. Somehow I missed the introductory course. Glad Nemo lives to be launched another day. Love mom