Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fri., July 4th: HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

Hey everyone! Do you have big plans today? Maybe swimming at the pool, boating at the lake, fishing, BBQ'ing, going to the park, or watching fireworks? I'd love to hear how everyone is celebrating!

Us Summitiers are celebrating the 4th tomorrow because although we have to still work, the staff has Saturday and Sunday off. The festivities start at 4pm tomorrow with a parade! YaY! Our group, Satellite Camp, has a "Captain Jack's Halogen Hunters" theme. Dr. Jack Dibb from the University of Houston is the principal investigator of our field campaign and Polar Palooza made a video about him and the team last year (hence the aforementioned theme). You can check it out at http://passporttoknowledge.com/polar-palooza/pp06.php. The far right Ipod has all of the videos about him and the team. We are using pirate decorations...I just know we will have the best float!!!

Strong winds from yesterday began to dissipate last night because of a high pressure system that moved over us. Today was sooooooo WARM! I felt like sunbathing on the snow! The main reason it felt relatively warm was because the winds were very very light (~2 m/s). Nemo was able to fly every 3 hours between 9am and 12am.

I went to change the back-up memory drive on our data logger at the Swiss meteorological tower. The screen was blank and the current memory drive had no data on it so I began to troubleshoot. On my second trip, I believe, I was waiting to see if my troubleshooting worked and so I sat down next to the data logger (about 10 feet out from the base of the tower). I looked out onto the snow sheet with the beautiful sky consisting of all different shades of blue and purple with the intense sun heating up my clothes. The moment was so serene and the view breathtaking. As I looked around at all of the snow, I realized I hadn't eaten any yet. So I reached down, picked some up, and put it in my mouth. The I remembered that I had blown a snot rocket there the day before when it was very cold and windy! Ewwwwwwwwwwwww! Oh well...at least it was mine! haha

After three trips out to the tower (not very fun because nobody EVER goes out there so the snow is deep), I finally was able to get it working. On my way back, I decided our group should have a "snow cone" (aka shaved ice) cart in the parade using the fruit concentrate!

After dinner, Craig (Montana), Katrine (UC-Irvine), and I went to the tower to add tie wraps to the thermocouple (measure temperature) wires that run down the 45 meter tower. So I made another trip to the tower, but this time it was more fun because the data logger was working and we got to watch Craig climb the tower. Katrine had to leave to take her gas samples before Craig was finished so I became kind of bored (someone has to be there for safety purposes). I decided to have some fun with the snow...so I made a snow angel and wrote some things in the snow also (see the pictures!). Actually it was a lot of fun entertaining myself and before I knew it...Craig was done!

For lunch: chicken strips, tator tots, salad, avocado

For dinner: sirloin steak, vegetarian shepherd's pie, yams, the best sourdough bread ever!, sauteed leeks, pineapple, salad

Smell-oh-Meter: 3...still doing okay

Take Care!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Christine,

I celebrated by going to a pool party with my friend, Nadja. Some of the people at the party live in Louisiana, and the others were upset that they didn't bring any boudin up with them. Go figure, huh? I should have brought some over to the party since I have some in my freezer. They also make homemade limoncello. By the way, this was my first NC 4th of July. Even though I've lived here for several years, we have always been out of town. Love ya, sis!

~Liz
PS Pics didn't post.

Unknown said...

Hi Christine!!

I just got back from my vacation with the fam down the Cape and finally got a chance to read your blog. It is AWESOME! Keep the posts coming girl.

Stay warm :)
-Danielle

Rob Luke said...

Luke said that he really likes your blog. If you can he really wants some snow.

Love you,
Luke and Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine!
Love reading your blog - it's highly entertaining. You know I have a soft spot for Nemo, so I am glad that you were able to fix the leak.

So, I see that the truth came out in the latest post about your lack of sleep! I kept wondering when you would say you slept great how much sleep you were really getting with Nemo flying every 3 hours.

Malcom and I hosted a family gathering of 12 at our house yesterday for the 4th. I related to your House Mouse duties because I was chef, hostess, and housekeeper all in one! Except Malcom handled dessert with his delicious made-to-order sundaes...YUM! Which of course brings to mind all the yummy food you guys are eating at Summit Camp - everything sounds really awesome! Who knew one could eat so well while having to sleep in an unheated tent on the ice cap!

Sounds like some good science is going on up there. That data analysis ought to keep you busy for quite a while!!

See ya,
Bridget

Christine Haman said...

Thanks everyone for sharing your 4th of July with me. Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun! Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I actually went to the Pearland fireworks show at Pearland High School. It was pretty good (about 20 min), the school has a really nice stadium. I guess thats Texas for ya!

-David